The SES AVID Program is accepting applications for the 2017/ 2018 school year. This year’s juniors can apply now to be a part of the program next year.
What is AVID?
AVID is an academic, regularly scheduled elective program based on writing as a tool of learning, the inquiry method, and collaborative grouping and learning. The four main components of the program are:
1) Instruction in how to think critically and be successful in challenging, college level course work through Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization and Reading (WICOR) strategies
2) Collaborative study groups
3) Motivational and team building activities
4) College planning and campus visits
Who Are AVID Students?
AVID works with mainstream students who are capable of completing a college preparatory path, but have never felt challenged or supported in this path before. Generally, AVID students are from groups under-represented in college preparatory courses such as Honors, and Advanced Placement (college level) classes. They are often first generation college attendees. They are enrolled in rigorous academic classes and in the AVID elective class, where the students receive crucial support from the facilitator/tutors and the AVID teacher. They become academically successful, self-confident role models for other students in the school. They are proud to be in AVID.
1) Students must demonstrate academic potential and have a grade point average of 2.0 – 3.5.
2) Student must have scored “proficient” on the MCA II math and reading assessments.
3) Students must not have disciplinary or attendance issues at school.
4) Students must have a desire to attend college and the motivation to work hard for it.
5) Other considerations that may be taken into account when applying for the AVID program are: first generation in family to attend college, member of a group traditionally underrepresented in 4-year colleges (i.e. students of color), financial challenges, special circumstances (i.e. single parent family, etc.).
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding class, please complete this online application. You will be interviewed in the following weeks and notified via mail if you have been admitted to the AVID program.